Why is the edit windows so slow?

General discussion of the Compose! application.

Moderator: arnold

Why is the edit windows so slow?

Postby Ben » 10 Aug 2012, 11:14

Hello,

I don't know who is experiencing this but when opening a vector, it takes a "long" time (about 10 seconds) to populate the form with the parameters.
It's the same for a csv vector and it's strange as the midi container is really fast even to sort, hide events or convert to hex.
Does anyone see the same behaviour?

Ben
Ben

Re: Why is the edit windows so slow?

Postby arnold » 10 Aug 2012, 19:35

Hi Ben,

You are right, I noticed the same thing :-) That the clip editor is fast is because it's always present in memory. I did that to have it... fast. When you move over it it should be present. Your remark suggests a same approach for vectors. That is more difficult because each type of vector has its own editor. To change that with the current approach is too hard for the first release. I must see how I can change the current approach into a better one.

Regards and thanks,

Arnold
------------------------------
I didn't change a thing and since then it doesn't work anymore.
arnold

Postby Ben » 11 Aug 2012, 07:51

Thanks for the answer.
Perhaps a possible approach would to have an additional "container" area between the actual vector zone and the clip area.

So I would make a distinction between
- "function" or "generator" (and it's own dedicated editor: parameters + drawing )
- "vector" (a list of values on which you can apply transformation : keep, delete, mirror, reverse, multiply, ...)

This would keep consistency. For instance actually the "function" text cannot be edited, only it's generated vector.

Of course, I don't maintain the code 8-)

Ben
Ben

Postby arnold » 14 Aug 2012, 21:12

Hi Ben,

That might be a good direction to investigate for the next version. Currently the vector is directly computed except for the data vector. If you want to do something like keep, mirror, etc you first must convert it to a data vector (right click a vector, next choose the dimension you wish to convert) and next edit it. This is done for efficiency reasons but I will rethink this strategy. And things like that I do after the next release (sorry).

But thanks for your suggestions, it had not popped into my own mind until yet :-)

Regards,

Arnold
------------------------------
I didn't change a thing and since then it doesn't work anymore.
arnold

Return to Compose!