build 0.8.1261

General discussion of the Compose! application.

Moderator: arnold

build 0.8.1261

Postby Ben » 10 Oct 2012, 14:38

Hello,

Nice to see a new version.
Here's some little discoveries:
1- trying to untick the flexible duration in a slaved linked clip seems to crash Compose.
2- there is still some refresh gui issue. Change the nota aspect, close the note aspect editor. Press play while keeping the edit windows opened. Then presss stop, close the edit window. The clip gui is not refreshed.
3- I like the global properties. I still believe taht it should be so for all the properties excepted the main clip one (duplicate, erase, link..).

Ben
Ben

Re: build 0.8.1261

Postby admin » 11 Oct 2012, 20:24

Hi Ben,

Good to see you still watching :-) This version should be almost ready for release but I should have everything ready including key management. That is some kind of a problem yet. Thanks for your reports. The crash may not occur, I'll try to solve it this weekend. And I'll check the refresh of course. You should download the latest version (1267) as it allows new styles for Compose! Go to the oiptions page and choose a style.

Could you help me with your last remark? Do you want more properties to be global? Or don't you want the global properties affect the main clip? There is no such concept in Compose! but some aspects make you think there is one.

Thanks very much!

regards,

Arnold
admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » 11 Oct 2012, 20:31

And I am thinking about leaving the vector view completely out of it. It makes things complicated. A clip in a Vector/Processing/Clip view should make things much easier. One disadvantage: there is not a main vector to reuse. I could solve that by clip duplication.

It's an idea I'm toying with. It would make things simpler.

Give me your opinion.

regards,

Arnold
admin
Site Admin

Postby Ben » 12 Oct 2012, 14:12

Hello,

Of course I'm still watching.
Nice for the style , even if the default one is ok for me. Little remark: with some styles you see the blank pixels under some of the functions icons. Not that beautiful.
What do you call the vector view? The Ctrl-E edit window? Or the piano roll in the clip zone?
Well regarding my last remark, global was perhaps not the best term. I like when things are easier to view and edit. I like to change a lot of parameter in a "parallel" way. Let's say I have 2 clips and I'm experimenting with the combination of octave/ note span. In the current GUI, I have to select the first clip, open the edit form (right click or using the icon), then click on the "edit note aspect" button, enter the min value, close all, select the second clip, open the edit form, then click on the "edit note aspect" button, enter the max value, close all. Still not ok? ok start again.
If all the parameters of a clip where in a separate zone (hence my bad "global" word), then all the fields would be there and just clicking a clip would populate the values. My edit described above would be easier: click clip 1, change min value, click clip 2, edit min value.
Can we post image in the forum? Or i'll send a draft by email to show you my thinking ;)

regards, Ben
Ben

Postby arnold » 13 Oct 2012, 18:57

When editing a clip having an option to apply specific options to all clips, something like that?

Try to send an image with the forum. As far as I know that should be no problem. And just send me the email if you don't succees, I'm just curious to know what you mean.

Agree with the pixels. In fact all my images seem somewhat dated. That's something to solve as well, especially when moving to apple.

Regards,

Arnold
------------------------------
I didn't change a thing and since then it doesn't work anymore.
arnold

Return to Compose!